Achieving Excellence Together
At Someries Juniors, we are proud of our school. Most of our children enjoy being here and learn well throughout their time here. As well as making good progress in their learning, they leave us at the end of their schooling with many happy memories of great times in class, out in the grounds and on trips.
As a staff, we strive to be even better - a truly excellent school for our children. Our vision is to be a school where children develop into the "best versions" of themselves and leave us as responsible citizens who will make a positive difference to the world.
We have received positive feedback from staff, Ofsted and our pupils .
Feedback from our pupils
In the 2021 annual survey, the pupils were very positive about their Someries experience. When asked what they liked about the school here are some of the positive responses:
- “Everything because everyone is trying to make the school happy.”
- “Everything because it is a kind and safe place.”
- “When you come to the school and get used to it makes you feel like you have a 2nd home.”
- “I like that it is always fun and there is always something new planned each day.”
- “I feel as if I could talk to someone if I was feeling worried very easily.”
- “It helps you to grow up strong and have a growth mindset. It supports you whenever you're stuck.”
- “It’s a friendly, loving school and have enjoyed this school all the way through!”
- “Everyone is kind and caring”
- “It is a kind and safe place to be and for you to make friends.”
- “I learn from mistakes that I make. I have to listen and work so hard.”
- “There’s always someone there to help me when needed.”
- “Teachers because they are kind and respectful.”
- “My teachers encourage me to be independent.”
- “Nothing needs to be improved because the school is perfect!”
Response Key: 1 = Strongly agree/All the time 2= Agree/Most of the time
3= Neither agree nor disagree/Some of the time 4= Disagree/Almost never 5= Strongly disagree/Never
Feedback from our parents and carers
This year's parent and carer survey was also very positive. It also gave us some ideas on what we can do to improve. Here are some examples of the positive feedback:
- “The teaching staff are always professional and approachable and work so hard to motivate the children and keep the school a high achieving, fun and friendly place to learn. Our child has improved so much over the last difficult year and we love how his teacher challenges him to keep improving.”
- “I think Someries juniors has been great at giving the children a well-deserved fun time, after such a hard year for them all, regarding covid. They know what's more important than grades. Mental health! Well done for that!”
- “An amazing school with fabulous staff who really do care about the children and their families. They have done a fantastic job at keeping Covid at bay and making sure everyone is as safe as possible, well done Someries Juniors!”
- “Great school overall, nice teachers and staff. I would definitely recommend this school. I feel you always have the best interests in my child.”
- “I think the past couple of years have been extremely challenging with Covid and I am so impressed with how all staff have dealt with the situation. I have always felt my children have been well looked after and cared for and given a sense of normality.”
- “Thank you Mr Hunt and team for making Someries such a lovely school environment for my son to learn and grow.”
- “I truly appreciate the hard work and effort of all the staff and the fantastic leadership during our children's most difficult times during Covid-19. Thanks to their support and encouragement, our children's mental health was not affected as much as it could have been, would the attitudes have been different.”
Feedback from Ofsted
We were very pleased with the feedback from our 2019 Ofsted inspection which confirmed that the school is providing a good education for the children:
You can read more feedback here: Ofsted latest
A good place to work
In addition to the above, we have also conducted a staff survey (Nov 2021) where 100% of the respondents said that they enjoy working at Someries Juniors and are proud to be a member of staff here. 100% of staff also said that leaders and managers are considerate of their wellbeing.
Mr Hunt, Head Teacher
Someries Junior School is an inclusive and diverse community with high expectations for all of our pupils. We are committed to providing the highest standard of education for every pupil; it is a place where children really matter and every individual’s ability is recognised, developed and celebrated.
We are a popular two form entry school on the eastern side of Luton, close to the Hertfordshire border. The school officially opened on 15 March 1973 and caters for children aged 7-11 years with approximately 240 children on roll.
A large number of our pupils transfer from Someries Infants School which is located on the same site with a number of pupils also joining us from other neighbouring schools.
Our dedicated staff ensure that both adults and children enjoy working in a friendly, calm and purposeful environment. We enrich our children’s learning through a variety of educational visits and provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities and clubs.
We work hard on promoting a positive partnership with parents, carers and our local community.